I’m 38 years old and am fitter than I was 10 years ago.
There’s a part of me that wishes that I hadn’t wasted my ‘youth’ and had found fitness earlier (perhaps 10 years earlier), but I’m incredibly grateful to be thriving in a time when 30 year olds die of heart attacks and 25 year olds have the problems of 60 year olds.
Here are 5 reasons I believe everyone MUST start a fitness regimen, no matter what that regimen is:
- If you don’t use it, you lose it. Our bodies don’t work as efficiently as they were made to because we have machines and gadgets to do stuff for us. Fitness keeps our bodies ticking.
- Live strong, live long. Fit people live longer. Every minute of exercise increases your lifespan, because your body just works better when you’re fitter.
- The backbone of all things. As a student and teacher of Yoga, I’ve learned, and believe, that keeping your spine strong is the key to keeping the rest of the body going. Exercise keeps your backbone strong and stable. The stronger your back, the stronger your body, your mobility, your flexibility and even your mental health. Everything is connected, and it’s connected right down the middle of your body.
- Quantity and Quality: You won’t just live longer if you’re in peak physical condition, you’ll actually enjoy your life more. You’ll get out and do the things you love. You’ll take walks, you’ll run. You’ll pick up your travel bags and kids with no trouble. You’ll eat what you love. And you’ll spend money on what makes you happy, rather than on medical bills.
- Healthy is happy. Yes, everyone’s heard that exercising releases the happy hormones. It does. But being fit also reduces stress levels and anxiety, gives you a lot more energy and is a huge confidence booster. After all, what’s the use of a hot bod without a happy head?
Fitness is a lottery where everyone wins. And what the last few years has taught me is that it’s never too late to get started. You’re never to old, never too injured, never too fat, and never too ‘unfit’ to start. So just start already.